Blow away your tailgaters with these unique, delicious recipes this football season. From queso to wings, these recipes are all sure to be touchdowns.
Tequila Spiked Queso Fundido
Ingredients: 1/3 cup chopped, seeded fresh poblano chile pepper, 1/3 cup chopped onion (1 small), 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/4 cup tequila, 1 1/2 cups shredded queso Chihuahua, queso quesadilla, and/or Monterey Jack cheese (6 ounces), 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, 1/3 cup finely chopped tomato (1 small), 1 tablespoon snipped fresh cilantro, Tortilla chips or warmed flour tortillas (optional), Chorizo sausage, cooked, well-drained, and crumbled (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium or large skillet cook chile pepper and onion in hot oil until tender. Remove skillet from heat. Carefully add tequila. Return to heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 to 30 seconds or until most of the tequila has evaporated but vegetables are still moist.
- Spoon mixture into the bottom of a 6- to 7-inch oven-going skillet or a 2-cup au gratin dish. In a medium bowl toss cheese with flour; sprinkle cheese mixture over vegetables.
- Bake about 10 minutes or just until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with tomato and cilantro. If desired, serve with tortilla chips or serve in warmed tortillas topped with cooked chorizo.
Apple Cider Pulled Pork
Pork Ingredients: Pulled Pork, Nonstick cooking spray, 1 3 – pound boneless pork shoulder roast, 2 teaspoons chili powder, Kosher salt and black pepper, 2 cups apple cider
BBQ Sauce Ingredients: 1 1/2 cups apple cider, 1 cup ketchup, 2 tablespoons chili sauce, 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon dry mustard, 8 whole wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- Coat the inside of a 4- to -5-quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Trim visible fat from pork shoulder and place into slow cooker. Sprinkle meat with chili powder, salt and pepper. (If desired, you can brown the seasoned meat in hot oil in a large pan first, to boost the flavor and color.) Pour cider over pork. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- To prepare BBQ sauce, place all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to boiling, uncovered, stirring frequently, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 20 to 30 minutes or until sauce reaches desired thickness, stirring occasionally.
- Place pork on a large cutting board or platter. Discard cooking liquid. Use two forks to pull the pork apart into shreds. Serve the pork on the toasted hamburger buns and top with the sauce. Refrigerate any remaining sauce for up to 1 week.
Ingredients: 2 cups packaged biscuit mix, 1/2 cup flaked coconut, 1/2 cup milk, 3/4 cup flaked coconut, 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk, 15 milk chocolate football candies, unwrapped, Nonstick cooking spray, 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted, 1/3 cup milk chocolate pieces, 1/2 teaspoon shortening
- In a large bowl stir together biscuit mix and the 1/2 cup coconut. Add milk all at once. Using a fork, stir just until moistened and forms a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto a surface lightly floured with biscuit mix. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing dough for 10 strokes or just until dough holds together. Pat or roll dough to a 15×9-inch rectangle.
- Cut into 15 (3×3-inch) squares. In a small bowl, combine the 3/4 cup coconut and sweetened condensed milk. Spoon 1 rounded teaspoonful of coconut mixture onto center of each square; top with chocolate football. Fold dough in half to form a triangle. Place triangles on a large baking sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray. Press edges together with a fork to seal. Brush turnovers with melted butter.
- Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, place chocolate pieces and shortening in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on 50 percent power (medium) for 1 to 2 minutes or until chocolate is melted and smooth, stirring every 30 seconds. Cool slightly. Transfer chocolate to a resealable plastic bag. Cut off tip of one corner of bag. Drizzle melted chocolate over turnovers. Makes 15 turnovers.
Buffalo Style Chicken Fingers
Ingredients: 1 cup crushed corn flakes, 1 tablespoon finely snipped parsley, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, 1/3 cup bottled blue cheese salad dressing, 2 teaspoons water, 1 -2 teaspoons bottled hot pepper sauce, Celery sticks, Bottled blue cheese salad dressing
- Combine crushed corn flakes, parsley, and salt in a shallow bowl or pie plate. Cut chicken breasts into strips about 3/4 inch wide and 3 inches long. Combine the 1/3 cup dressing, water, and hot pepper sauce in a large mixing bowl. Add chicken; stir to coat. Roll chicken pieces individually in crumb mixture to coat. Place strips on a foil-lined baking sheet. Freeze until firm, about 2 hours.
- To serve, heat oven to 425 degree F. Place frozen chicken strips in a single layer in a lightly greased 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until meat is no longer pink in center and crumbs are golden. Serve warm with celery sticks and additional blue cheese dressing for dipping. Makes 12 servings.
Sweet and Sour Wings
Ingredients: 2 1/2 pounds chicken wings (12 to 15 wings), 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt, 1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning, 3 tablespoons cooking oil, 3/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup vinegar, 1/4 cup unsweetened pineapple juice, 1/4 cup catsup, 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Cut off and discard wing tips from chicken wings. Cut each wing at joint to make 2 sections.
- In a shallow dish, combine flour, garlic salt, and lemon pepper seasoning; coat chicken pieces with flour mixture.
- Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet; add coated chicken pieces and cook until browned, turning occasionally.
- Remove chicken from skillet and arrange pieces in a shallow baking dish.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, vinegar, pineapple juice, catsup, and soy sauce; heat to boiling, stirring to dissolve sugar. Pour over chicken.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F oven about 30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, turning pieces over after 15 minutes. Makes 24 to 30 pieces.
Let Genesis of Tuscaloosa take care of all your vehicle’s needs! Have questions? Contact us! We hope to hear from you soon.